- 600ml semi-skimmed milk
- 200ml double cream
- 400ml single cream
- 1 vanilla pod
- 4 medium eggs
- 170g caster sugar
- 6 hot cross buns, sliced in half and spread with a generous amount of butter
- 1 knob butter, spread on the hot cross buns
- 1 handful dried, chopped apricots (optional)
- Zest of 11 orange (optional)
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 170°C and get your ovenproof dish ready – big enough to fit 6 hot cross buns!
- For the custard base, bring the milk and the cream just to the boil in a saucepan.
- Cut the vanilla pod in half, scrape out the seeds and add to the pan.
- Whisk the eggs with the sugar until pale, then whisk in the milk and cream mixture, removing the vanilla pod shell.
- Dip the buttered hot cross bun halves in the mixture, then place in an ovenproof dish – you can either keep them in halves or break them up.
- Sprinkle over the apricots and the orange zest.
- Sieve the custard over, and leave it all to soak for at least 15 minutes.
- Place the dish in a roasting tin, half-fill the tin with hot water, then bake the pudding for about 45 minutes.
- When cooked it will have a slight crust on top but will still be slightly wobbly inside.
- Dust with the icing sugar and serve.